Sunday, December 4, 2011

Losing Focus


Have you ever wondered why problems seem so huge sometimes? Like stuff keeps piling on, and you feel like you can't take it any more? And then one more thing gets piled onto this all ready overwhelming, overflowing pile and you finally break?

I had one of those moments a couple days ago.


When I felt like I couldn't go on any more, my husband and I sat down, and he realized the thing that we were missing the most in our lives was spending time with God.

Isn't it amazing how when we're running the race, all it takes is a tiny bit of turmoil to take our focus off, and we crash and burn? I seriously wonder if I will ever learn this lesson, or if I am destined to live my life as a wandering sheep who occasionally needs my legs broken so I can follow my Master again.

I also find it ironic that during the season where my focus should be on all that Christ has done for us, it is on "oh man, I have to buy this person a gift, and how am I going to afford a gift for this person..." I HATE consumerism!! My desire is for Christmas to be exactly what it is supposed to be. People coming together in love, and worship to God for all He has done, and blessing others. No more lists of "I want, I want, I want" just a simple "I saw this and thought of you because you are unique and I wanted to bless you with this..." and focusing on the time where we can all get together, laugh, have fun and truly thank God for sending His Son down to earth. The ultimate Sacrifice.

With now having a son of my own, I seriously wonder how it was done. I was adopted, and right after my son was born, I realized what a selfless act adoption is. I would NEVER want to give my son up to another family. It made me respect my birth mother that much more! Now, thinking about Christmas... God new what it meant when Mary got pregnant... His Son would come to earth to die the most painful death. What a sacrifice! It really does put John 3:16 into perspective. To sacrifice a life to save the world... but it doesn't end there. Performing a miracle, and Jesus rising again. I love it!!

It is amazing how when the focus is on God, how minuscule our every day problems seem to be. This too shall pass... bills will get paid, meals will be made, broken relationships will be restored... in one way or another.

How do you make Christmas special?

No comments:

Post a Comment