Monday, August 29, 2011

The Christian Thing...

Opinions can be very dangerous things. They can crush, wound and destroy dreams or exciting moments that happen in life.

With that disclaimer in place, I now use my opinion: I struggle with loving shallow people. You know, those people who lack depth and compassion because they have had relatively easy lives? Those people bring so much anger to me. I struggle with being friends with these people at times because when I share something with them, I get handed a very "Sunday School" answer thrown back to me "You know, God doesn't give you more than what you can handle..."

I do agree with that statement, but seriously, you don't say that to someone who is struggling when your life is perceived as perfect. You don't say that at all.

Why is it that when we share with our fellow Christians, they feel the need to say the "Christian thing?" Is it because we're taught since before we can crawl to love our neighbor and bear one another's burdens? IS THIS TRULY WHAT JESUS MEANT???

NO!!!!!!


I truly believe the meaning of those scriptures is just that. Hold each other both physically and up in prayer, cry with each other, listen to the hurts and leave the things "you feel you're supposed to say because that's the Christian thing to do" in your mind. It only ends up bringing pain, anger and bitterness to the one who is hurting. At least, that's my experience.

Before I start getting labled as a Christian hater, or someone who is just plain angry at Christians I will say this. Yes, I have been hurt by people. Yes, I have been hurt by many Christians including pastors. No, I don't hate them. Experience has taught me I need to forgive and move on. After all, I am one of those Christians as well who can lack compassion and say the Christian thing.

"Oh Lord, if you heal me, I will be truly healed; if you save me, I will be truly saved. My praises are for you alone!" Jeremiah 17:14

No comments:

Post a Comment