Monday, September 26, 2011

Sometimes Loving People Sucks!

For three years I worked as an Educational Assistant. It was one of the most exhausting and exhilarating jobs I have ever had. I developed a deep love and appreciation for people with special needs. I realized they are definitely in this world for a God-given purpose.

I got to see Jesus daily in my job. With having the privilege of working in a Christian school, it was inevitable. Although this job came with many problems and politics, I will always look back on those three years with fondness. I grew a lot.

After I got hired, I daydreamed about what my job would be like. Walking into the high school and having students just flock to me, wanting to know my story and allowing me to speak into their lives. Reality hit pretty hard when I walked into the school, got put in charge of supervising a class pretty early and realized I had NO FREAKING CLUE what I was doing.

I was worried about working with kids with special needs. I grew up in schools where they had their own space, and we had ours. I didn't have any contact with them. I am glad that has now changed because we can learn so much from these incredibly beautiful, spirited, wonderful children. I know there are challenges. Kids with Autism and Aspergers are all different and have their own challenges, but when there was a victory, even a small one, we celebrated! This job was exhausting, but so rewarding!!

When I say I saw Jesus daily, it was through these wonderful kids. Who daily, would love me in spite of my imperfection. It always seemed like when I was having a bad day, one of these kids would have a hug, a small present or something funny to share with me.

By the time I was done my job, I was completely burned out but I would still visit the school and check up on these kids. I love these kids deeply and thank God for allowing me to get to know them and be impacted by them.

...That is why it has been so hard learning that one of these beautiful kids passed away this week.

She went in for a surgery that should have kept her out for a week. Six days later, the Lord called her home. She was young (only 18), beautiful and incredibly sweet. Always ready with a hug or a kind word.

Even though she is fully healed, and able to walk, and in the most wonderful place with Jesus, she will be greatly missed. My heart is sad.

This is for you baby girl. Thank you for the impact you made. Thank you for loving me in spite of my imperfection. I love you, and I'll miss you but I rejoice you are in heaven. Rest In Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment